Sunday 15 March 2009

Installing SemanticForms

I created an installer script for SemanticForms, everything should work but it did not. I could not find what the problem was so I asked MinuteElectron to help me out. After some research he found that it had to do with the order in which the SemanticMediaWiki and the SemanticForms were loaded; they are loaded in alphabetical order so the SemanticForms came in first.

I have created a hack to get around this; I have renamed the SemanticForms.settings.php to xSemanticForms.settings.php. The documentation is clear; Semantic MediaWiki has to be installed and in this way MediaWiki is aware of this. Adding an x does the trick.

I wonder if this is one of those temporary solutions that will prove to be permanent.
Thanks,
     GerardM

3 comments:

Andrew said...

The very obvious solution is to maintain a database of dependencies.

GerardM said...

There are all kinds of dependency. Having a database of dependencies does not mean that you know how to act upon it.

The hack I created works as this dependency is absolute. The version of PHP is another kind of dependency and this requires completely different solutions. Solutions that indeed require a database.
Thanks,
GerardM

GerardM said...

require_once("$IP/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/includes/SMW_Settings.php"); is only executed once ever. So when I add this line in the scripts, I do not NEED to add the x.

Thanks,
GerardM